Thursday, February 8, 2007

Tom Sawyer's Role in the Novel

What has been on the back of my mind while reading this novel is the role of Tom Sawyer. I wonder why is his name is mentioned, when he has nothing to do with the situation, and isn't present in the situation. For instance, in the scene where Huck was explaining to Jim about his escape, Huck states: "Then I told him the whole thing, and he said it was smart. He said Tom Sawyer couldn't get up no better plan than what I had." I believe that although nonexistent in the situation, Sawyer's presence still lingers. I seriously don't understand why.
I also question how Huck's situation would have differed if Tom Sawyer didn't exist. I believe that without Tom Sawyer, Huck wouldn't have anybody to look up to. Considering Huck's situation with his father Pap, and not having a consistent father figure, Huck looks up to Tom Sawyer. I believe that without the character of Tom Sawyer, the novel would have taken a different route. Although Tom Sawyer is not present in the novel at times, I believe that Huck's character depends on Tom Sawyer. I believe that Tom Sawyer created the character of Huck Finn. I believe that that Tom Sawyer's character is overlooked as being an important character. If you take time and ponder about it, where would Huck be, if it wasn't for Tom Sawyer's influence? Where would he be, if he didn't go on the adventure with Tom Sawyer? I believe Huck isn't a character, if Tom Sawyer doesn't exist. Although Huck is young in age, he clearly admits that he'll go with Tom to hell to be together with him.
posted by Matthew S.

1 comment:

  1. I think your post points to the fact that if there is a vacuum in one part of our lives, we will fill it somehow. Huck had no guides or role models, so Tom became his surrogate parent figure-- perhaps until now.

    ReplyDelete