Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Pap

Huck’s relationship with his father really bothers me. How is a father, let alone any parent, going to leave their child for over a year and suddenly reappear in their life? And if they are to reappear, shouldn’t they be different? It irks me that Huck seems okay with living in the cabin with his father just because he doesn’t want to be “sivilized” by living with Miss Watson. A father plays an enormous role in his child’s life, especially that of a male. Parents don’t realize how leaving their child will eventually affect them. Miss Watson stepped up to the plate and Huck can’t even appreciate it just because they have differences. Miss Watson would have an amazing influence on Huck. Pap is not allowing Huck to have an education, but education brings you places. Pap is depriving Huck of his childhood especially by locking him in that cabin. And the weird thing is, Huck kind of minds, but doesn’t really because he is away from Miss Watson and the mistress. I wouldn’t be able to forgive Pap for threatening me, taking me out of school, taking my money, leaving me, and being drunk all the time. I don’t know how Huck does it. It seems like such a destructive lifestyle.
posted by Dylan P.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure that Huck has forgiven Pap-- I think it's mostly that Huck is not the type to make a big fuss when it will just cause more trouble. I think Huck is angry at Pap, but is aware that if he puts up a fight, it will just result in more abuse.

    ReplyDelete