Thursday, February 8, 2007

A New Perception of Jim

Since Jim was introduced in the book I thought he was just going to be a normal runaway slave seeking freedom. I've been wondering about Jim these past chapters and today in class while reading someone else's opinion about Jim, my perception of him slightly changed. Although Jim indeed runs away from Miss Watson's household I realized there was so much more to him.
Looking at the bigger picture, I think Mark Twain did a good job of taking a stereotypical runaway slave and adding traits such as superstition, emotion and "street smarts" to create a untypical slave persona for Jim. I think Jim is going to develop into a great character. He is Huck's loyal companion who seems to be a normal man longing for family love.

I think that the relationship between Jim and Huck will greatly evolve during the course of the story. Even though there is quite an age difference between Jim and Huck they are still loyal companions. Their friendship seems so balanced, therefore it doesn't really cross my mind that Jim is a grown man and Huck is still a young boy. I think by spending more time together Huck and Jim will become more attached and share a good willed bond that Huck probably has never experienced. I can tell Jim is going to be a role model for Huck even if it's unintentional.The only two characters I would consider to be "past role models" (although these characters weren't true role models towards Huck) were Pap and Tom Sawyer. Huck has a very unstable relationship with his father (not a true father and son bond) and Huck's relationship with dominant character Tom Sawyer doesn't really appeal to me as a balanced friendship either. However I think that Jim will surpass both failed role model attempts and find a new comfort in Huck. Overall I think Jim will grow more accustomed to having young Huck around and develop a protective relationship towards him. As for Huck, I think he will finally have someone to look up to that won't directly control him nor let him down.
posted by Francisca Dilone

1 comment:

  1. What would a "stereotypical runaway slave" persona be like? Would it have been different in 1885 (when the book was published)than it is now?

    ReplyDelete