Friday, February 9, 2007

Connecting to a Character

So far I've enjoyed reading Huckleberry Finn. I really like the character of Huck. He's a really down to earth, trustworthy guy and is very straight forward. I relate to him in a great way and because of this I like his character. Not the living in a barrel and wanting to smoke part, but more of his concrete personality. Most of the time when you can make a connection with a character the book is much more enjoyable. You almost feel like you're a part of the book. "Then she told me all about the bad place, and I said I wished I was there," is definitely something I could say. I also like how there is a bond between Huck and Jim. Most people wouldn't expect a slave to bond with a white male during this time. And while some people may think this is very unrealistic, I think it's very realistic. Huck and Jim lived under the same roof and are somewhat in the same situation. They almost feel like they know and understand each other. And Huck is known to be very trustworthy, so this is why Jim tells him that he has run away. It makes the book much more interesting and I think their strong bond is going to benefit both of them.
posted by Gentrit Dedushi

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting to think about whether Jim is more of a friend or a father-figure to Huck. He is much older, but he seems to swing back and forth between those two roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could also defintely find a book much more enjoyable if I felt a connection between me and the characters. However, in this particular book, I can't seem to find any connections with anyone or anything which is making is much less enjoyable for me to read. I do like Huck's character though. He's probably someone I would enojy hanging out with in real life because he's just so "out-there" and seems really interesting to talk to; it seems like he has a lot to say about everything, which always holds up a great conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the way that jim and huck were able to connect with one and other. It was nice to see that a Black and a White could get along in such a friendly way with out major conflicts or rasism. Even though Huck plays many jokes on jim they are still able to remain very close with each other and I respect Mark Twain for creating a relationship like that. Malcolm.H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Gentrit and Amanda. Huck definitely has an interesting concrete personality. He is probably the only character I can relate to.
    Huck takes chances and seems to be a risktaker. But, he is very clever for his age about the things he does. An example of this is when he drags the pig blood to make his father think that he died. Clever things like this make the book interesting to me.

    Katie M.

    ReplyDelete