Friday, February 9, 2007

Tom and Don Quixote

When I first found out that we were going to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I thought that it was going to be an excruciatingly boring experience. I was honestly surprised.

Huck Finn happened to be something more than I thought it would be. I have been really impressed with the book that Mark Twain has written. I love his sarcasm and his use of dialect in the story. I remember that in the eighth chapter, there was a whole page where Jim, Mrs.Watson's slave, was talking. It was very hard to clearly understand what he was trying to say but the incredible thing is that that is how most of us talk even though we don't write like that. What is even more impressive is the fact that someone actually took the time to study the way that we talk and decided to write a whole book like that. I think that that is a lot of dedication on behalf on Mark Twain.

My favorite scene so far was when Tom Sawyer made a reference to Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. As a person who has read Don Quixote, I thought that this was extremely funny. Tom stated that the reason that they (the band of robbers) could not see the Arabs and the elephants was because of the "spell of enchantment." He went on to say that Huck was ignorant because if he would have read Don Quixote he would have known about enchantment. This scene to me signifies two things. First, the influence that Tom Sawyer carries over Huck and second, how gullible Tom Sawyer actually is. Twain portrays Tom as the grand leader of the band of robbers, as the person who can read, when in fact, Tom is just as gullible as Huck. Huck is gullible because he believes in everything that Tom Sawyer says, meanwhile Tom is gullible because he believes everything that he read in a book.

So far, I have been satisfied with the book. I hope it get better because I have to admit that in some parts, it just gets boring for me.
posted by Julissa P.

2 comments:

  1. Don Quijote shares some important themes with Huck Finn: the individual vs. society, a journey or quest, the friendship of two very different people, idealism vs. realism. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace O.
    I agree with Julissa's comment. I also believe Huck is a gullible character who is easily influenced by Tom.

    ReplyDelete