Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Dialect and the “bad” Place

So far, I find the book to be quite interesting. The dialect in this book is very different and new to me. It took me a while to get used to the dialect; actually, I am still trying to get used to it. I believe this is what makes the book so interesting, besides the storyline. For example, in proper English, “don’t” is spelled like that; while in the book, they spell it like this “doan.” I find it fun when I have to decode this dialect; it feels as if it is a secret code of some sort. Besides the dialect, the storyline of this book is “ok” as well.
In the first couple of pages of the book, there is a quote stated by Huck. The first time I read this line, I started to laugh to myself, and I said, “This kid's got some guts.” The quote is: “Then she told me all about the bad place, and I said I wished I was there.” I know that he is only supposedly between the ages of 10-14, but he must have some sense of what the bad place is. Then for him to still say that he wants to go to the bad place tells me that he is a little stubborn. Throughout the book, I notice how he only likes to listen to his own opinion and do what he wants to do. He doesn’t like being told what to do.
I look forward to finishing the book; I never know what’s going to happen. One minute he is in the log cabin with his father, and the next he is on an island by himself. This is my general opinion of the book so far.
posted by Victor O.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you are having fun decoding the dialect. If you look at it as a puzzle, it can be quite enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete