Thursday, May 10, 2007

values in The Great Gatsby

I actually really liked The Great Gatsby. I especially liked the florid language Fitzgerald uses in his descriptions of the setting and characters. What actually surprised me was that I felt sorry that Gatsby was killed at the end. He was really the only character you could root for because all the other characters, except for Nick in my opinion, weren't very likable at all. I started to dislike their free-floating, squandering lifestyles without care or consequence. I found it an admirable trait in Nick that although he came from a predominant and wealthy family, he still wanted to achieve something in life. Fitzgerald displayed his opinion of the wealthy through his characters and contrasted their superficial and materialistic values with the more traditional ones of Nick and Gatsby to amplify the problems of the rich so that it is obvious that many are selfish, inconsiderate, careless people who used money to wash away their sins.
posted by Mikaela M.

No comments:

Post a Comment