Friday, September 25, 2009

Summer reading assignment: Crime and Punishment journal #1-- Donnee

I've heard that a lot of students think that Crime and Punishment is a boring novel, but I beg to differ. I love the genre of the novel. Suspense, murder and poverty is one of the best recipes to a brilliant novel. BUT the much of the novel seemed uneccisary and seemed to drag. As soon as i started to read it, I immediately thought of Edgar Allen Poe's The Tel tale heart. I must agree with every one that most of the dialog was very dull.I had to drink tuns of coffee in order to stay focused and get through certain chapters of the book. Besides that I wanted more diction! Throughout the book I was anticipating the pawn broker's murder. I thought to myself, "Will Raskolnikov actually commit the murder? or will his "cowardice" take control him." Once he finally committed the murder, I was so disappointed. I thought to myself "Is that it?" Throughout the begining of the book, the murder was all Raskolnikov could think about, and now the author gives us this! I felt no suspense, no disgust, no fear. Infact it was nothing a real discription of a murder should be like. I.E. In The Tell Tale Heart, Edgar allen poe was much more gruesome in the discription of the actual murder. The protaganist chopped up the old man's body un into tiny pieces. Sure it's disgusting to read, but thats what makes a good murder. If Raskolnikov was really as crazy as many readers think he is, he could have been capable of a much more gruesome murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment