Saturday, September 5, 2009

Summer reading Assigment: Crime and Punishment Journal #2-- Justin

As I continued reading the novel, I felt even more puzzled, trying to understand Raskolnikov’s character. I believe that he is a very hard character to follow in literature. Half the time I’m reading, I’m asking myself questions about what he’s thinking about when he’s in a situation.
After Raskolnikov murders both Alyona and Lizaveta Ivanovna, he seems very paranoid about everything around him, especially when his landlady files a complaint to the police about his rent. As I was reading the part about Raskolnikov in the police station, I sensed some fear in his character. However, it is understandable. I know that if I had just committed a murder, I think the station is the last place I’d want to be at as well. I also found him to be very paranoid as he was trying to dispose of all the evidence that could connect him to the murders.
Lastly, I have questions about what happens after he leaves the station. On his way home, Raskolnikov sees his landlady being beaten by Ilya Petrovich, the police chief’s assistant. He then asks Nastasya about what he just saw. She seems surprised and confused, unaware of what Raskolnikov is talking about. At this point, I’m not sure as to whether or not Raskolnikov is having delusions. If it’s not that, then is this part of his plan to divert people away from the murders?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you in that Raskolnikov is a very difficult character to figure out. He seems to be very spontaneous, and yes, very paranoid after the murder. He is very fearful as well, but it is almost unbelievable that he actually went to the police station right after what happened. And about your question, he did in fact was having hallucinations. It was all due to the fact that he was getting unconscious.

    ReplyDelete