Monday, July 30, 2007

Heart of Darkness: Questions about Syntax and Dialogue

Can anyone give me a summary please?! I have no idea who’s talking and when the dialogue starts because the dialogue starts with quotes but then after however long the dialogue is a new quote starts but there are no end quotes for the last one and I don’t know who is speaking. Someone is just constantly speaking. I’m assuming it’s Marlow but it sounds like two different people. It is becoming quite aggravating and hard to follow. Also they speak so weird like they’re narrating their lives in the past. They tell the story like they want you to feel their experience but then they jump into past tense and I find myself lost again. Does anyone else agree with me or am I simply losing my mind?
posted by Nateil O.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, when you have a single character speaking but want to put a paragraph break into the speech, you do not use an end quote at the end of the first paragraph but you DO use a beginning quote when you begin the new paragraph. The usage of quotation marks you noticed in the book is standard punctuation. We will go over this in class so it's not confusing any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do agree with you. As I read the book more and more I find myself really confused and then I have to go back and re-read the pages over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree!! I feel that because of this I am confused and because I am confused I have no interest in continuing to read the book. I can never tell when it's Marlow or when it's a character from Marlow's story, which then becomes the story you are trying to follow. Why couldn't Conrad simply throw in a said Marlow or said Kurtz occasionally?

    ReplyDelete