Sunday, July 29, 2007

Dealing with Detail in Heart of Darkness

Heart Of Darkness is one of the most eloquent, vivid works of literature that I’ve read recently, but I’ve been finding myself getting lost in the detail and paying more attention to it, rather than the actual motive behind it all. In all honesty, I couldn’t get into the book for a long time. I am reading it bit by bit, and in the beginning I thought that the amount of detail was excessive and it made the book boring. It almost seemed overly dramatic. As I read on (I’m still not finished), it begins getting more interesting and less theatrical-sounding. I’m enjoying it more now, even though I’m still only scratching the surface. The main character Marlow is heavily philosophical, and I’m looking forward to seeing how his thoughts progress throughout the book. A lot of the plot's concept seems analogous to the plot of The Stranger, by Albert Camus. It is also an analysis of the main characters’ mental process (and in this book’s case, the narrator’s additional point of view facilitates that immensely). If anyone else has ever read The Stranger, let me know what you think, I really see a big connection.
posted by Devon V.

3 comments:

  1. Can you elaborate on the connections you see between The Stranger and Heart of Darkness? Even for those who have not read The Stranger, clarification on the similarities would be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey devon ive never read the stranger but i did read the catchert in the rye and i found connections there with excessive details,depressing naration and have kurtz is to Marlow like Phoebe (holden's little sister) is to holden do you agree?
    `nateil

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a nutshell, The Stranger and Heart Of Darkness are both stories told through the eyes of the protagonist, sort of mapping out the deterioration of the character's mentality (and attitude towards life as they know it). The Stranger was basically about a man who went from living a normal life to committing the ultimate crime and waiting for his time to come on death row.

    ReplyDelete