Monday, July 30, 2007

Critique of Heart of Darkness

Overall I unfortunately did not appreciate this book. I thought it was a good book but not one that I would ever pick up on my own and read. I thought the language was worded very tricky and I often thought that I was missing something even though I reread the same lines several times. I thought reading this book as a class would have been better to get a better picture and overview of the book however I just found myself constantly lost. The details were a bit over the top especially in the beginning. I tried to imagine it in my mind as best I could which is usually my favorite thing in a book however in this book I found it too hard to do with constant changes and excessive details. The book was also kind of depressing to me in the way it mentioned death and gloom all the time. The Heart of Darkness represented two different things to me. At first darkness was portrayed as exploration, discovery and finding the unknown. Yet in the end I found it more encompassing death, gloom and the evils of violence and greed.
posted by Nateil O.

2 comments:

  1. Nateil-- Never fear! We will be discussing the book at length in class, so some of the questions and uncertainties you have will be cleared up through class discussion. Your observation at the end, about what the "heart of darkness" represents, is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree whole-heartedly. I've had to re-read so many parts of it and I'm not even completely finished yet. But so far, I also see the same reoccurring themes throughout (exploration and different kinds of bleakness).

    ReplyDelete