Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Siera Evans---Streetcar

Journal#2 - A Streetcar Named Desire

I’m halfway through the book and boy, did it get spicy! It turns out that I was right on my chracter analysis for Stanley. After I read about him assaulting Stella, everything positive that I felt about him went out the window. The fact that Stella just went on back to him suprises me even more. How foolish can she be? Here I thought she was the sensible character of the book, but I guess I was wrong about her. Once a man puts his hands on you, there is no second chance ( at least in my opinion).
Then, when we finally get a little sneak peak at Blanche’s past in scene six, is where the story really turns tragic. I would never have expected the twist that explained the death of Blanche’s first husband. If I found out about my husband being...well you know. I would be “messed up” too. The relatinship between Mitch and Blanche is kind of cute as well, and I believe that’s the only thing that’s keeping Blanche stable at this point.
Finding love must really be importent to her emotionally. Which is why I guess she kissed the delivery guy out nowhere...I guess to make herself feel better. My fear is that Stanley will be the cause of their split. It’s very clear that he doesnt like Blanche, at all, and is really trying his best to tear her down, pull out all the cards he can on her, saying that she was once a very popular prostitute at a cheesy hotel, and even going so far as spreading it to other people. Ultimately, it looks like he wants to just get rid of her.
I wonder if Stella even knows the real truth about her sister, because even with the mystery of her precious husbands death revealed, Blanche’s history is still unknown.....

Journal#3 - A Streetcar Named Desire

After I finished this book, all I could do was be sad. I felt extremely sorry for Blanche, who I now see is really the main focus of the play all along. I kind of understand what Mitch did to Blanche, he clearly loved her, but the rumors that Stanley and the other men must have spread at the factory only shook his feelings for her. After all, Blanche did admit in a way that she lied to him and told him the truth about her past at the “Tarantula” and Laurel. If I were Mitch, and I had just heard that my girlfriend, was indeed an “ex-entertainer” at a shady hotel, already “involved” herself with a numerous amount of men before she came here, and was also involved with a seventeen year old, which was the reason she had lost her previous job, I would be pretty upset too. Definitely not the type you would want to bring home to your mother (-: . However, I still cant help but feel sorry for Blanche.
I don't think she really intended to lie to Mitch, but to just ‘protect’ him from the truth of what she once was, and if it wasn't for Stanley, she probably could have started fresh in New Orleans with Mitch. Although, the truth is always the way to go, because whatever you do in secret, will eventually come to the light so its better to tell the truth, even if it hurts. Now what happened when Stanley came back after, mind you, his wife was about to give birth to his child, was just disgusting and vile. How in the world you could posses yourself to sleep with your wife’s sister is beyond me. In my mind, Stanley is now the exact definition of a brute, savage, animal, who deserves to get a piece of his own pie given to him. How, Stella could not believe Blanche, her own sister, about what happened is beyond me as well. Instead of throwing the “animal” out of the house, she agrees with Stanley and throws her own sister out, guided by the idea of Blanche’s loss of sanity.
Sure Blanche had a little bit of problems, but I’m sure they could have been worked out if Stella payed more attention to her, but how harsh can she be, putting her own sister in a nuthouse!
Overall, I loved ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ and was absolutely mesmerized by the dramatic twists and turns that followed each scene. This book is definitely a ‘must read’ and I’m sure would be enjoyed in RKA if given the chance on stage.

2 comments:

  1. I was also very unhappy with Stella's action in going back to Stanley. I did not like him very much from the begining. He is not a good person and i think that Stella deserves better than him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so angry when i read that Stanley had raped Blanche. He completely destroyed her chances of starting a new life in New Orleans. She had a good chance of moving on from her past and starting a new future. I felt so bad for her at the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete