Thursday, September 2, 2010

Kristina's journal #1: Crime and Punishment

Kristina

Crime and Punishment: Journal #1

When I first picked this book I was excited because the blurb really grabbed my attention. However, as I began reading not only was the language and format of the book confusing, but it was also quite boring. I was ready for action when I picked it up but after reading the first couple of chapters I knew I was in for a long wait. I read the book and immediately noted a few things about Raskolnikov: 1) He was very poor. 2) He was plotting something regarding Ms. Ivanovna and 3) He seemed to be a generally paranoid character but with a good heart. I say this because in chapter two he is seen giving Marmeladov and his family money. I also notice that Raskolnikov makes it a habit to leave his house when he is overwhelmed, especially dealing with financial issues. I soon predict that later in the book he will feel forced to do something extreme in order to establish a better financial future. The pressure for money heightens in chapter four when he finds out his sister is marrying just to support him. Once I finished Part One I was finally satisfied with this book. Finally I got the action I was waiting for. I am now looking forward to the rest of this book. =) After reading Part one I predict that this man might commit more crime and might not be able to stop… I also feel that the guilt of his murderous acts will eat him alive and might drive him to insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment