Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weekly update: Looking ahead to the week of January 19

First and foremost, I would like to commend you on your conviction and passion to assist in the current situation in Haiti. I am inspired by your energy and efforts. On Tuesday we will meet to discuss how we will organize our ideas from yesterday's discussion.

You will complete your essays on Tuesday, and I look forward to discussing Emma. As I looked at your journals, I noticed that a number of you have formulated some very strong opinions of the character! Please complete volume one for Tuesday and keep up with annotating and journals.

Have a great weekend.

I encourage you to respond to this blog with a powerful quote or a reflection on a quote by Martin Luther King Jr.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.
]

4 comments:

  1. "I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers."
    Kahlil Gibran


    "We hate some persons because we do not know them; and we will not know them because we hate them."
    Charles Caleb Colton


    "The opposite of love is not hate; it's indifference."
    Elie Wiesel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emphatically agree with the second quote of Martin Luther King, Jr. Our enemies' words sometimes mean a lot for a few of us, but most of the times we care very little, since we do not really care from whom they are coming from. However, if one of our friends refuses to be by our side and defend us, that silence kills us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A great democracy must be progressive or it will soon cease to be great or a deomcracy."
    Theodore Roosevelt

    "One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin or the shape of our eyes or our gender instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings." ~Franklin Thomas

    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

    Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. ~Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy

    My life is my message. ~Mahatma Ghandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I’d like to say that it is unfortunate that we only pay tribute to such a legend once a year…



    As I read through the very thought provoking quotes that some of my peers have displayed, I can’t help but think; what is the purpose of expressing these words when they are not put into action? We simply read them and think “wow, I never thought of life/hate/love/violence/ etc in such a profound way.” Then 5 minutes later these quotes simply dissolve into our minds, and remain somewhere in the back of our memories. I think that these words would be much more powerful if we incorporated it into our lives… Don’t you think so?



    I think the best quote any one could possibly share is one that they have made up them selves. I say this because all of these incredibly distinguished people have reflected and articulated their experiences in away that could deeply affect another individual. It would be so much better if we could reflect upon our own experiences and articulate them in our own way (even if it’s not as great).



    “Learn from great, become great, and share your knowledge amongst others. It is our privilege as students and our obligation as individuals.” –Donnee

    ReplyDelete