Monday, July 19, 2010

Melody's journal #1: A Streetcar Named Desire

As I read the title of the book, I wondered, why would a streetcar be named desire? I didn't think that the streetcar may actually be a streetcar, but I thought of it as a metaphor to signify something else. I thought the book would involve something having to do with fighting temptation. In reading scene one I found that the streetcar was an actual streetcar that Blanche, Stella's sister, had ridin' on to get to Elysian Fields, the place where Stella lives. In seeing the way Blanche spoke to Stella in the beginning of the book about where she lived and how she had gained a few pounds, I came up with the idea that with all of her dresses, Blanche just might be very insecure having not gained or lose any weight herself. In losing their family to death and also losing Belle Reve, I noticed that Blanche wasn't all that sad about losing the family, but rather sad that they didn't leave not one penny to help her out and if they did it was for their coffin. Blanche came off as very selfish and materialistic.
When Stella entered the scene I noticed that she was very nice and didn't seem to care much about living the way she did. I quickly liked her character. She spoke with patience, although she didn't say much. Stella was also the kind of person to be very caring and I figured she was the oldest of the two. Stanley and Stella seemed to be really in love with each other. Although Stanley was too aggressive for her especially since Stella's pregnant. I figured Stanley can't drink to much in order to keep his composure. He quickly regretted hitting Stella, but did he always react that way when he drank? Why didn't Stella leave him when he did?
Stanley was very quick to point out how he didn't trust Blanche and came up with the idea that there may have been something more to losing Belle Reve than Blanche lead on. Stanley seemed to give off the feeling that he doesn't really trust anyone and is quick to judge anyone walking into a room whom he's never met. Of course his reaction made me wonder what Blanche was really doing in Elysian Fields? What really happened to Belle Reve? I found myself reading scene one to four over thinking that I must have missed something. Having to come up with nothing I continued to read the play to see what Blanche was really hiding.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I felt that there was a lot of symbolizm in the title alone. Desire could be the feeling that Blanche might have had to see her sister or to get attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Definitely agree with the statements you were making about the characters. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who noticed that Blanche was very materialistic. She would show up in some type of fancy dress, made up of a good material.

    ReplyDelete