Saturday, August 4, 2007

Past = Future

In the beginning of Chapter II Marlow says, “The mind of a man is capable of anything- because everything is in it, all the past as well as the future.” I found this very interesting because it connected to the a lot of things, for example, the saying “history repeats itself” and the question of the Bible. If we know our past is it a preview of what our future will be like? Or are we more likely to change it? Then there is also the question of the Bible. Was it really written by God or was it written by man based on events of the past? I guess it also all depends on what you believe in.
Grace O.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you commented on this quote because I do think it is a very thought-provoking one. However, I am not sure I understand what the connection is to the question of who wrote the Bible. Can you clarify your ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this quote “The mind of a man is capable of anything- because everything is in it, all the past as well as the future.” I too liked this quote but I was confused about what exactly you meant by its link to the bible. To me this quote is saying a man knows what he has done and what he will do, a man is in control of his own actions therefore giving him the power to do anything. I didn’t really give much thought to this quote until reading it as your blog. Now thinking about what its meaning is, I hope we discuss some of the quotes from this book including this one.

    ReplyDelete